Wikki Stix Pony Bead Counting Sticks are a fun way for young children to learn basic math concepts in a hands-on way!
Pilgrim Hat Math Games for Kids
Download the Pilgrim Hat Template PDF here
Materials needed: Wikki Stix (at least 10 per child), the Pilgrim Hats Template (linked above), pony beads (yellow/black/white), scissors, and markers/crayons (for labeling the Pilgrim hats).
Prior to playing the math games: Print the Pilgrim hat templates to heavy paper. Have the children cut out the hats (assist younger children with cutting). The Pilgrim hats will adhere to the Wikki Stix (no glue will be necessary).
5 Math Game Suggestions for the Wikki Stix Pilgrim Hat Counting Sticks:
1. One-to-One Correspondence: Label the Pilgrim hats with any numbers the children have had introduced and put them on top of a Wikki Stix. Ask the children to place the corresponding number of pony beads on the Wikki Stix.
2. Number Order: Label 10 Pilgrim hats with the numbers 1-10 and put them on top of the Wikki Stix. Have the children place the pilgrim hats in the correct number order – 1-10.
Variation: Label the Pilgrim hats with the numbers 5-15 and place the hats on top of a Wikki Stix. Have the children place the pilgrim hats in the correct number order (starting at a number OTHER than 1).
3. Ten Sticks and Skip Counting: Label 10 Pilgrim hats with the number 10 and put the hats on top of a Wikki Stix. Have the children place 10 pony beads on each of the Wikki Stix. These counting sticks make great “10 bars” for counting to 100 by 10’s. For younger children, label the Pilgrim hats with various numbers for practice with skip counting by 2’s and 5’s.
4. Number Words: Write number words on the Pilgrim hats and put the hats on top of a Wikki Stix. Have the children place the corresponding number of beads on their Pilgrim hats. It helps the children understand that the number name refers to a specific quantity of beads.
5. Patterning: Write any basic pattern on the Pilgrim hats (for example: Write AB on one of the Pilgrim hats. The children must then choose two colors of pony beads
Hint: Print the Pilgrim Hats Template and laminate before cutting out. Dry erase markers can then be used to change the numbers/activities as required.
Whether your children are learning at home or in the classroom this Fall, the Wikki Stix Counting Sticks are a great way to encourage math skills with a fun Thanksgiving Theme!