- Super Wikki Stix (assorted colors)
- One Empty Plastic Water Bottle (rinsed and dried)
- Hole Punch
- Cut the top off of a rinsed and dried plastic water bottle.
- Using only the bottom part of the water bottle, cut straight lines down, and around the bottle, leaving the bottom of the bottle intact. Note: each section should be approximately one inch apart (see photo below for a visual).
- Bend each one-inch segment away from the center and hole punch the top of each segment (again see photo below).
- Starting at the bottom of the bottle, weave Super Wikki Stix over and under each of the plastic segments of the cut bottle. Note: when you get to the end of the Wikki Stix, simply press firmly to hold it in place on the bottle. Begin with another color of Super Wikki Stix where you left off.
- Kids should continue weaving the bottle, over and under each segment, until they reach the top.
- At the hole-punched segments, weave an additional Super Wikki Stix through each of the holes. Cut away any remaining length. Press the remaining plastic tabs down and inside the bottle. The tabs will adhere to the Wikki Stix inside of the basket craft with firm fingertip pressure.
- If desired, kids can twist two colors of Super Wikki Stix together and place around the top edge of the upcycled woven basket craft. The twisted Wikki Stix add a decorative touch to the finished basket craft.
There are many uses for the upcycled woven basket crafts, below you’ll find just a few suggestions:
- Plant flower seeds in the Earth Day woven basket crafts and give as gifts for Earth Day, Birthdays, or Mother’s Day.
- Use the woven basket crafts in the bathroom to store toothbrushes, Q-tips, cotton balls, hairpins, or other bathroom items.
- Use the woven baskets in kids’ bedroom to store small toys or jewelry.
- Gift to Dad for use in the garage. Each woven basket craft can hold nails, nuts and bolts, screws, or other items needing an individual container.
- Use as a candy or favor basket for kids’ parties.
What ways can your own kids think of to use the upcycled Wikki Stix woven basket crafts? With Wikki Stix, kids can have fun creating a useful item with materials normally disposed of. Save your own water bottles and create a woven basket craft for Earth Day (or any day)!
For more ways to create and play with Wikki Stix for Earth Day, please visit:
Layers of the Earth Craft for Kids with Wikki Stix
Earth Day Fine Motor Crafts with Wikki Stix
Phases of the Moon Learning Craft with Wikki Stix