The story of Spookley the Square Pumpkin by Joe Troiano is loved by kids. The book is a perfect story starter for a fun fine motor square pumpkin craft with Wikki Stix. Come read, listen, and create a fun Spookley the square pumpkin craft with Wikki Stix this fall.
Spookley the square pumpkin is obviously different from the other pumpkins. Spookley can’t roll and frolic as the other pumpkins do because he is a square pumpkin. Spookley gets teased by the other pumpkins as he is different in shape from the rest of the pumpkins on the farm. As a storm comes around, Spookley proves helpful to the farmer and the other pumpkins. Invite your kids to listen to the story here:
After listening to Spookley the Square Pumpkin, invite kids to discussion about teasing and kindnesses to others. Ask your kids how they are different from another child. The book opens wonderful opportunities to discuss kindness and qualities that make each child unique in the world.
Spookley the Square Pumpkin Fine Motor Craft for Kids with Wikki Stix!
- Orange, Brown, Green, White, and Black Wikki Stix
Make an invitation for kids to create by setting out all the colors of Wikki Stix and scissors on a table or a large tray.
- Kids should make a basic square out of orange Wikki Stix.
- Using the initial square as an outline, kids can then fill-in the square with additional orange Wikki Stix until the square is covered (cut away any remaining length of Wikki Stix when finished).
- The stem is created from 3 brown Wikki Stix (laid side-by-side) and cut in half. Press the half firmly behind the created orange square.
- The leaf for the square pumpkin craft is made from a created green Wikki Stix teardrop shape. Kids can create the teardrop from one green Wikki Stix and then fill-in the inside of the shape with additional green Wikki Stix (cut away any remaining green Wikki Stix when finished). Press the created Wikki Stix leaf to the created pumpkin stem.
- The eyes for the square pumpkin craft are created with cut pieces of white and black Wikki Stix rolled into small pinwheels.
- Kids can create any mouth design with black Wikki Stix to finish the craft.
Explore MORE shapes with Wikki Stix:
- Invite kids to create Wikki Stix pumpkins from various other shapes. Try making a triangle, rectangle, or oval shaped pumpkin. Kids will devise amazing designs with a little inspiration the Spookley the square pumpkin craft.
For more ways to play and create with Wikki Stix this fall, please visit: