Nutcracker and Ballerina Ornament Crafts for Kids
Invite kids to be a part of the holiday season with special ornament crafts inspired by the infamous ballet, The Nutcracker. With Wikki Stix and a few simple supplies, kids can design their own nutcracker and ballerina ornaments for pretend play or to hang from the tree.
Materials needed for the Nutcracker Ornament Craft:
- Red, Yellow, Black, and Blue Wikki Stix
- 2 Craft Sticks (Nutcracker) and 1 Craft Stick (Ballerina)
- Black Permanent Marker
Directions for the Wikki Stix Nutcracker Ornament Craft:
- Fold one craft stick in half or cut in half with a sharp pair of scissors or a knife (jagged edges will be covered with Wikki Stix).
- Wrap both halves of the craft stick with red Wikki Stix – leaving a portion of the rounded wood exposed. The exposed wood will become the “hands” for the nutcracker.
- Wrap the second craft stick with: black Wikki Stix (boots for the nutcracker), blue Wikki Stix (pants for the Nutcracker), red Wikki Stix (coat for the Nutcracker), and black Wikki Stix (Nutcracker’s hat) – leave a small part of the wood showing between the coat and the hat (this will become the nutcracker’s face).
- Kids can then decorate the nutcracker’s coat with a yellow Wikki Stix “X” and yellow buttons (small yellow Wikki Stix balls).
- Eyes and a mouth can be added with a fine point black marker.
- To assemble the Nutcracker, firmly press each of the nutcracker’s arms to each side of the body. No glue will be necessary as the Wikki Stix will hold the arms in place.
- To create a hanger for the ornament, invite kids to fold one yellow Wikki Stix in half (leaving an opening at the top). Press the hanger firmly to the back of the nutcracker ornament.
Materials need for the Wikki Stix Ballerina Ornament Craft:
- One Craft Stick
- Red, Blue, Black, and Yellow Wikki Stix
- One miniature cupcake liner
Directions for the Wikki Stix Ballerina Ornament Craft:
- Wrap red Wikki Stix around the bottom of the craft stick – pinch a portion of the red Wikki Stix together in the front (to resemble the ballerina’s pointe shoe).
- Wrap one yellow Wikki Stix around the center of the craft – position the ends of the Wikki Stix upward to resemble the ballerina’s arms.
- Kids can fold the miniature cupcake liner in half and decorate as desired with Wikki Stix.
- Press the flat edge of the cupcake liner firmly onto the center yellow Wikki Stix.
- Kids can create a bow, hat, or other decorations with Wikki Stix for the ballerina craft.
- Small black pieces of Wikki Stix can be cut and used to create eyes and a mouth, if desired.
- To create a hanger for the ornament, invite kids to fold one yellow Wikki Stix in half (leaving an opening at the top). Press the hanger firmly to the back of the ballerina ornament.
For more ways to create and play with Wikki Stix this holiday season, please visit:
The Wikki Stix Nutcracker and Ballerina Ornament Crafts are fun to hang on the tree or for pretend play during the holiday season. For a short 5-minute introduction to The Nutcracker Ballet, watch as Clara’s nutcracker comes to life: