How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss is a classic book to read at Christmastime. It’s a perfect book to accompany the Wikki Stix decorated Grinch rock crafts. Talk about the characteristics of the Grinch and how his heart was changed at the end of the story. The Grinch has become a common household name associated with an unpleasant person who scoffs at Christmas and has a cold heart. All across the United States, communities are uniting families through decorated rock hunts. Adults and children join in the fun by decorating rocks and then hiding them in places in their own community. The true spirit of rock hunting adventures bring joy and warms the hearts of those who hide the rocks, but also to those who find them. Gather your own WIkki Stix to create Grinch rocks to hide in your own community this Christmas.
- Green, Red, Yellow, Black, and White Wikki Stix
- Rocks of assorted sizes (one per craft)
- Set out Wikki Stix, scissors, and rocks as an invitation to create.
- Wrap the rock entirely in green Wikki Stix starting at one end of the rock.
- Make a Santa hat from a red Wikki Stix triangle shape and fill the shape with additional Wikki Stix. Kids can add a white tassel to the Santa hat with small cut pieces of white Wikki Stix. Press the Wikki Stix created Santa hat firmly to the top of the covered rock.
- The Grinch’s eyes are made with yellow Wikki Stix (any shape the kids desire) and finished with a small black Wikki Stix ball for the center. Press the eyes firmly to the green Wikki Stix. All of the Grinch’s features will adhere without the need for glue or tape.
- Kids can create a nose and mouth for their Grinch rocks with cut pieces of black Wikki Stix.
- Hide the Wikki Stix created Grinch rocks around the community. Many cities and towns have social media groups dedicated to rock hunting. Search online to see if your own community has a group. If they do not, start a Christmas tradition by hiding your Wikki Stix Grinch rocks in prominent places for other families to find. Some suggestions might include: the local library, a favorite restaurant, a local park, a school, or by homes in your own neighborhood.
The Wikki Stix created Grinch rocks are not only fun for families to create, but they serve as a reminder to offer warm hearts to others at Christmastime. Read the story and create a new rock decorating adventure with your own family this holiday season.
For more ways to create family traditions with Wikki Stix at Christmas, please visit: