With Valentine’s Day upcoming, kids can have fun and learn through play with the Wikki Stix Floating Hearts Sensory Bag and Color Games! Grab your Wikki Stix along with a few simple items and come play with us this February!
Wikki Stix Hearts Color Games for Preschool and Kindergarten!
- Assorted Colors of Wikki Stix
- Free Colored Hearts printable here.
Print the colored hearts file above and laminate both pages for durability (if laminating supplies are not available, clear contact paper works well, too). Invite the kids to use the blank hearts (page two of the file) as a template for creating Wikki Stix hearts that correspond to the colors of hearts on page one. Trace one of the blank hearts with one color Wikki Stix and then fill in the heart with additional Wikki Stix of the same color (see photo).
The blank heart templates, when laminated, can be reused to create any color of Wikki Stix hearts the kids want to make.
When the kids have finished creating the Wikki Stix hearts, have them cut out the colored heart cards from page one of the file.
To Play a Colored Hearts Matching Game:
Place all the colored heart cards in a pile (face up) and put all the Wikki Stix created hearts in a separate container. The kids should draw one card at a time and sort through the Wikki Stix created hearts to find the matching color. Press the Wikki Stix heart to the corresponding colored card. The game is over when all the created Wikki Stix hearts have been matched with the colored cards. Note: more colors can be introduced by coloring the blank hearts with additional colors and then creating those same colors of Wikki Stix hearts.
- Print two copies of page 1 in the colored hearts file, laminate the pages for durability, and then cut out all the cards. Place the cards face down in four rows on a table or the floor. Have the kids turn over two cards at a time to see if they have a matching pair of hearts. If they do not, both cards are turned face down again and play continues to the next player. The game proceeds until all the colored cards have been found and matched.
- Print several copies of the colored hearts file. Create two or more Wikki Stix hearts with colors that correspond to the colors on the cards in the printable file. Make a simple pattern with the cards for the kids to re-create with the Wikki Stix hearts (example: AB, ABC, AABB, etc.). This game is great for pattern recognition, transferring skills, fine motor skills, and basic patterning.
Wikki Stix Floating Hearts Sensory Bag for Young Kids!
- Wikki Stix colored hearts (created above)
- Clear Hair Gel
- Gallon size zippered bag
- Duct tape
Place the clear hair gel inside the zippered bag. Insert all the Wikki Stix created hearts and close the bag. Duct tape the bag closed to prevent accidental spills and/or leaks.
The gel bags make a FUN sensory and fine motor activity for young kids! As the kids gain confidence in moving the Wikki Stix hearts through the gel with their fingers and hands, introduce a color sequence to see if the kids can manipulate the hearts into specific color sequences.
Use the colored heart cards from the printable file above and lay the cards out on the table or the floor. See if the kids can manipulate the hearts inside the gel bag into the same color sequence displayed by the cards (see photo).
Tactile Heart Races: kids can also have heart races by moving the Wikki Stix hearts to one side of the sensory bag and moving them through the gel to the opposite side of the bag.
For more ways to play and learn with Wikki Stix this Valentine’s Day, please visit: