If you’re planning a camp for kids at anytime during the year, Wikki Stix can turn ordinary camp crafts into extraordinary projects. Wikki Stix is not only fun to create with, but campers will gain fine motor skills each and every time they make crafts. Try a delightful twist on traditional camp crafts with the fish-themed camp crafts for kids!
Wikki Stix Weaving: Fish-Themed Camp Crafts
- Assorted colors of Wikki Stix
- One FREE Fish Template (per craft) – download and print here.
- Scissors – reminder: Wikki Stix can be cut with safety scissors so younger campers can create, too.
- Print the FREE Fish template for each camper (one per craft).
- Kids should fold the fish in half (horizontally) and cut six-inch-long slits along the fold.
- Kids can choose any colors of Wikki Stix desired to weave the fish craft. Beginning left to right, kids should weave two strands of Wikki Stix (from the bottom of the fish to the top) using an alternating over and under weaving pattern. Wikki Stix will adhere to the fish template with just fingertip pressure so no glue is necessary to seal the woven ends.
- As kids finish weaving the various Wikki Stix colors through the slits, they can decorate the remaining fish features however desired with additional Wikki Stix.
The Rainbow Fish Camp Crafts and Book
The Wikki Stix Rainbow Fish craft is a fun project for kids to create at camp!
- Red/Green/Blue/Purple Wikki Stix (for the fish and scales), White/Black Wikki Stix (fish eye), Gold or Yellow Wikki Stix (fish mouth)
- Aluminum foil (for the sparkly scales and fin decorations), fish template (download the fish template PDF here)
- Download and print the fish template (one per craft)
- Invite the children to trace the fish template with the blue Wikki Stix. Older children may wish to fill in the tail/fin/head sections of the fish template with additional blue Wikki Stix.
- To create the 3-D fish scales:the fish scales are created by wrapping one Wikki Stix around itself to form a tight pinwheel shape. The sparkly scales are created from small aluminum foil squares that are cut into a scale or oval shape (see photo below). The scales can then be placed side-by-side and layered until the body portion of the fish is covered in scales. The sparkly aluminum foil scales can be placed randomly throughout the layered rows of scales.
- To finish the Rainbow Fish Craft:invite the children to create a fish eye from one white Wikki Stix spiral and a small black ball center, yellow or gold fish mouth, and add aluminum foil decorations on the fish tail and fins. The Rainbow Fish can then be lifted from the paper and displayed if desired. To create a hanger for the craft, fold one Wikki Stix in half (leaving an open loop) and press to the backside of the fish.
The Pout-Pout Fish Camp Crafts for Kids
The Pout-Pout Fish Camp Craft is perfect for rainy camp days! Kids can use Wikki Stix after reading the book to create stick puppets to re-tell the story along with a shimmery fish of their own.
The Pout-Pout Fish Created Stick Puppets
- Craft Sticks or Paper Straws
- Assorted colors of Wikki Stix – to create the six animals from the book: Clam, Jellyfish, Squid, Octopus, Shimmery Fish, and the SMOOCH
- One copy of The Pout-Pout Fish book
- Invite campers to extend the story of The Pout-Pout Fish and place the Wikki Stix-created animals on top of a craft stick or paper straw.
- Read the story again, and kids can hold up the fish-themed animals and the SMOOCH as they are introduced in the book.
Kids will have FUN reading The Pout-Pout Fish and extending the story through hands-on creation and playful learning at camp.
Commotion in the Ocean Fish-Themed Camp Craft for Kids
- One printable fish template (per craft)- Download the Fish Template PDF Here
- Assorted colors of Wikki Stix
- Print the fish template.
- Kids can use the fish template to create any color of fish desired.
- Invite the children to trace the fish outline with Wikki Stix. Once the outline is complete, the children can use assorted colors of Wikki Stix to fill in and decorate their fish with any features desired.
- For more activities to accompany the book, Commotion in the Ocean, please see here.
Fish-themed camp crafts with Wikki Stix are not just FUN for kids to make, but each craft will encourage fine motor skills and be unique to the camper who is creating. There is no wrong or right way to create with Wikki Stix! Your campers will love their fish-themed crafts as special reminders of the fun days at camp.