2016 ushers in the Year of the Monkey in the Chinese zodiac beginning with the Chinese New Year on February 8, 2016 and lasting until January 27, 2017. People born in the Year of the Monkey are said to be clever, active, flexible, problem-solvers, creative, and social. Come celebrate the Year of the Monkey with an adorable Wikki Stix monkey lantern craft that kids can make! Hang the monkey lanterns in February to represent good fortune in the New Year!
Chinese New Year Lantern Craft – Year of the Monkey 2016
- Brown/White/Black/Yellow Wikki Stix
- Brown Construction Paper
Set out all supplies on a table or a large tray as an invitation for the kids to create!
Directions for the Paper Lantern:
- Fold the brown construction paper in ½ (vertically).
- Cut ½ inch strips along the fold making sure NOT to cut through to the opposite edge (see photo).
- Open and roll the paper (horizontally) until the edges meet.
- Place two small pieces of Wikki Stix between the paper edges and firmly press to hold the lantern closed. Set the lantern aside.
Directions for the Wikki Stix Monkey:
- Create the outline for the monkey’s body from two brown Wikki Stix. Fill in the shapes with additional brown Wikki Stix (placing the Wikki Stix inside the initial outline).
- Create circles for the monkey’s ears from two brown Wikki Stix. Fill in the circles with additional brown Wikki Stix. Place both ears slightly behind the created monkey body and press firmly.
- White and Black Wikki Stix can be used to create eyes, nose, and mouth features as desired.
- Twist brown and yellow Wikki Stix together and then press the ends behind the monkey to create a hanger for the Chinese New Year lantern (see photo).
Assemble the lantern craft by placing the created monkey on top of the paper craft. The lantern can then be hung or displayed to symbolize good fortune in the New Year.
**Optional – cut yellow Wikki Stix pieces and form into banana shapes to decorate the paper lantern before hanging.
For more adorable animal crafts and activities with Wikki Stix, please visit: