Five Little Speckled Frogs is a beloved nursery rhyme for preschoolers. To help preschoolers with a hands-on counting activity, try the Wikki Stix created frogs as props for the tradition rhyme and for use with a printable math center for extended learning and play!
5 Little Speckled Frogs Created Counting Activities for Preschool!
Wikki Stix Created Fine Motor Frogs to Accompany the Traditional Nursery Rhyme:
- 20 Light Green Wikki Stix (makes 5 frogs)
- 1 Dark Green Wikki Stix
- 2 White Wikki Stix
- 2 Black Wikki Stix
- 5 Brown Wikki Stix
- Give the children 4 light green Wikki Stix and a pair of scissors.
- Invite the kids to wrap one light green Wikki Stix around itself into a tight pinwheel shape. The kids can practice as wrapping Wikki Stix is a great way to encourage developing fine motor skills.
- Once the first pinwheel is finished, have the kids wrap another light green Wikki Stix around the first pinwheel shape to make it larger. This pinwheel will become the body for the frog.
- Have the kids make another tight pinwheel with a light green Wikki Stix (this pinwheel will be the frog’s head). Press the frog’s head onto the created body of the frog.
- Using safety scissors, invite the kids to cut the last light green Wikki Stix in half. Each half should then be folded in half and pressed together. Demonstrate for the kids how to cut the Wikki Stix and fold each half over.
- Press each folded half behind each side of the frog’s body to create the legs for the frog.
- The “speckled spots” for each of the created frogs are made with small cut pieces of dark green Wikki Stix formed into small ball shapes and then pressed onto the frog’s body.
- The children can create eyes for their frogs by making small white and black balls with cut pieces of Wikki Stix and press them onto the frog’s head.
- Repeat the process to create all 5 frogs.
When all the frogs are created, have the children twist 5 brown Wikki Stix together to create a “log” for the created green frogs to sit on (see photo).
If your preschoolers are not familiar with the nursery rhyme, 5 Little Speckled Frogs, say or sing the following rhyme several times.
5 Little Speckled Frogs
5 little speckled frogs, sat on a great big log,
Eating the most delicious bugs,
1 jumped into the pool, where it was nice and cool,
Now there are 4 speckled frogs,
(Repeat with the numbers 4, 3, and 2)
1 little speckled frog, sat on a great big log,
Eating the most delicious bugs,
She jumped into the pool, where it was nice and cool,
Now there are no speckled frogs,
~Original Author Unknown – Traditional Nursery Rhyme
Hands-on Frog Counting Activities:
- As you say or sing each verse of the nursery rhyme, invite the children to remove one of the created frogs from the Wikki Stix log and set it aside. Before continuing with another verse, have the children count the remaining frogs that sit on the log. The children might also place the created frogs on top of paper straws or craft sticks and take away one frog as each verse is read or sang.
- Print the 5 Little Speckled Frogs Counting Mat here. Laminate the counting mat for durability before using. After each verse in the rhyme, invite the children to place the number of frogs that correspond to the number in the rhyme on the counting mat. The frogs will sit up on the mat. The created frogs and counting mat can be used over and over for hands-on counting practice throughout the spring and summer.
Your kids might also enjoy the following activities designed just for preschoolers with Wikki Stix: